UPIMAC is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) founded in 1997, it is fully registered with the National NGO Board with certificate No. S.5914/3130. It has a functional organisational structure composed of the General Assembly, which is the top most hierarchy where all members of the organization, the board, and management sit together to review, report and agree on the operations of the organization; the Board is responsible for policy guidance, strategic decision making and policy formulation. The board also has 3 committees (Finance, Administration and Programe) whose role is to guide management more closely; Management and technical staff link up with Regional, districts, sub-county and social groups for effective implementation of projects. UPIMAC has a strong Finance and administration section with qualified staff and vast experience in donor funding and management. It has a Finance and Administration policy in place that has ensured accountability and value for money for donor resources and thus it has never had a forensic audit nor a qualified audit report.
UPIMAC staff are highly qualified and skilled; dedicated and committed, 20 of whom are full time and based at the headquarters and 333 volunteers based in 112 districts across the country. It also has a consultancy side of the organisation with a pool of consultants in various technical fields like Gender, Public policy, Public administration, Procurement, Human Resource Management, strategic planning, Development Communication, Engineering, Results monitoring and Evaluation who most of the times offer strategic support to projects.
UPIMAC has a constitution, strategic plan, Annual work plans and budget, operational guidelines and other policies in place which provide guidance in the management of the organisation’s business and operations. Some of the policies include: Gender, IT, Anti corruption and Bribery, Communication, Affirmative action and non discrimination, No smoking, HIV/AIDS, Sexual Harassment, Youth, Do no Harm, Conflict Sensitivity, Computer Utilization and transport. Its work is guided by its strategic plan with clear vision, mission, goal, objectives and the thematic areas of intervention.
Since its formation to date, UPIMAC has managed over twenty (20) projects worth 20 billion Uganda Shillings funded by DGF, BHC, USAID, World Bank, European Union, and Government of Uganda. Currently UPIMAC manages an annual budget of UGX 2,500,000,000. With the capacity built over time and by DGF in the last 5 years, we are confident to ably manage annual budgets greater than UGX. 3,500,000,000
UPIMAC’s broad objective is to promote the social, economic and political status and welfare of the poor and disadvantaged groups especially in the rural areas.
- Imparting knowledge and facilitating interactions among members of the society on constitutionalism and good governance; Human rights and the law; Community Participation, electioneering and civic education,
- Building the required capacity among members of the local communities and other organizations in the areas of programme formulation, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation; strategic Planning; financial management and education and Training.
- Training the local communities, local CBOs and NGOs on fund mobilization both locally and internationally,
Sensitizing the local communities on their civic rights, obligations and roles in development as well as human rights,
- Sensitizing the local communities on environmental issues and sustainable development, primary health care, HIV /AIDS and education,
- Carrying out sensitization programmes on disaster preparedness and food security;
- Conducting civic education, monitor elections and promote decentralized, democratic good governance;
- Promoting literacy campaigns in the rural areas especially among the women and other disadvantaged groups;
- In partnership with other agencies encourage improvement in the quality of life of the poor through provision of the basic services particularly health services, clean and safe water, education as well as their environment.
- Promotion of gender aspects during project / programme planning, implementation and provision of technical aspects to all those agencies that are interested in incorporating gender planning in their programmes;
- Engaging in various research programmes and dissemination of such results for the benefit of the poor in rural areas.
- Imparting skills and promote training in micro finance to communities in order to facilitate or enhance the communities’ ability to generate incomes.
- Designing and setting up management information systems to manage and assist personnel, procurement, monitoring and evaluation and financial control using the latest computer technology.
UPIMAC is an indigenous voluntary, non - governmental organization registered with the NGO board Ministry of Internal Affair.
The centre has a consultancy unit known as “UPIMAC Consultancy Services”, which is registered with the Registrar of Companies for purposes of providing services at a fee and build in the element of sustainability.
UPIMAC Vision is “a civically empowered society in an enabled environment”.
UPIMAC’s mission is, “to promote good citizenship and socio-economic growth for every citizen”.
UPIMAC generally targets the general public, line ministries, local governments both at lower and upper level, church leaders, opinion leaders, local NGOs / CBOs and the private sector. The centre gives special attention to the disadvantaged group especially in the rural areas and the urban poor.
UPIMAC’s distinctive approach is to involve grassroots communities, private entrepreneur, government officials and the relevant stakeholders and beneficiaries in identifying their problems and developing practical solutions to them. We maintain a participatory approach. The Centre’s principal role is to assist in the process of change, introduction of new ideas and systems to improve the well being of communities and functioning of relevant organizations.